Translate

Monday 10 February 2014

Agbim: I’m The Best In Nigerian League


--CHAN Eagles captain vows to fight for World Cup shirt

Home Eagles captain, Chigozie Agbim has boasted that he is the best goalkeeper in the domestic league even as he promised to fight to make the World Cup final cut to Brazil.

Agbim who had a not too impressive outing at the just concluded CHAN in South Africa said he is very aware of the abundant talents who are angling for a shot for his place in the national team.

According to the former Warri Wolves FC goal tender, he recognised he was not at his best at CHAN but says he is ready to face any challenge for the third goalkeeper’s slot in the Super Eagles’ World Cup squad.

“It is unfortunate I started badly in our first two games but I think I rose to the occasion and I did well in the rest of the matches I played. I think I deserve to be in the Eagles squad to the World Cup,” he says.

The home Eagles captain who led Nigeria to win bronze medal at CHAN continued: “Nobody will question that my being the number one at home here is not on merit. I am the best for now and I would work hard to remain there.”

 When asked why he failed to stop any of the Ghanaian kicks during the shoot-out in South Africa,  Agbim stated that penalty kicks are not easy to stop, stressing that it is only when the penalty is poorly taken that a goalkeeper makes saves.

He assured that the Super Eagles would do well at the World Cup in Brazil because the players are raring to go and because Nigeria has the quality to progress to at worst the last eight.

No comments:

Post a Comment