Translate

Wednesday 27 November 2013

Jose Mourinho defends ‘tired’ Chelsea players following Basel defeat

Jose Mourinho has defended his Chelsea players despite a 1-0 defeat to FC Basel
Jose Mourinho has resisted the temptation to blame his players for their 1-0 Champions League defeat against FC Basel.

An uninspiring Blues side were thoroughly outplayed in Switzerland, and the Portuguese coach insisted his men were "tired" in the clash, admitting he should have made more changes to his line-up.
Speaking following their Group E defeat, Mourinho said Chelsea "paid the price" for last weekend’s 3-0 victory over West Ham United in the Premier League.
“The players were tired. I’m not so sad with them. I understand. I think after West Ham maybe they paid the price," said the Blues boss.
“Maybe I should make more changes with my team. When you have that performance against West Ham you have the temptation to play the same team.
“I made one change with Eden [Hazard], because I felt he could come on and change the game. Maybe I should change other players.
Despite the defeat, Chelsea still progressed to the knockout stage of the Champions League thanks to a 0-0 stalemate between Steaua Bucharest and Schalke, but that was little consolation for Mourinho.
“Only because of other results we have qualified. That’s the only positive thing from this night," he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment