Translate

Friday 17 January 2014

Australian Open: Andy Murray said records were not on his mind as he beat Vincent Millot

Andy Murray reflected on what may have been his hottest ever streak as he defeated French qualifier Vincent Millot in the second round of the Australian Open.
The fourth seed found himself 1-5 down in the third set before embarking on a remarkable to that ensured his safe passage into round three in Melbourne.
Millot had a set point but Murray saved it, and from then on won every single point - a run of 23 in succession - to triumph 6-2 6-2 7-5.
He said: "It was 6-5 when I went to serve for it, and someone shouted out, 'You won 19 in a row'. I would say that's probably the most I'd ever won in my career by far.
"He came up with some great shots in the third set. Then when he didn't get his set point, I guess it's normal he got a little bit nervous, which helped."
Andy Murray
"It's very difficult to do. I don't really know how I did it. But I didn't realise until I went to serve for the match. It was a good way to finish.
"He was obviously almost going for broke on a lot of shots. He was hitting the ball so early, and flat and low. It was very humid today, so the ball really wasn't flying much.
"He came up with some great shots in the third set. Then when he didn't get his set point - I played a good point on his set point - I guess it's normal he got a little bit nervous, which helped.
"He started missing a few balls and I adjusted my tactics a little bit."

Humid

The importance of the winning streak to Murray was that it enabled him to complete the match in straight sets and get off the court amid temperatures that were still very high even so late in the day.
Brother Jamie had to be treated for severe and 'scary' cramps after winning his doubles match earlier in the day and Murray was anxious to avoid a similar fate.
"I just wanted to win the game," admitted the Scot. "It was obviously fairly late. The way that set had gone, I just wanted to try to get through that game.
"I didn't really care about winning 23 points in a row. I wanted to win the match. I'm glad I finished it there, because they were very, very hard conditions.
"Even in the evening it was so humid. After they closed the roof they obviously had the rain and the thunderstorms.
"It changed the way the court and the balls played a lot. It was heavier. I hit a lot of balls in the net today. It slowed everything down a bit. I just was glad to get off."
Murray holds a 7-0 head-to-head record over his third round opponent, Feliciano Lopez, although the Spaniard did force three tie-breakers in a four-set defeat when they last met at the 2012 US Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment